Thursday, December 13, 2007

A month of mayhem

[FYI - this was written Dec. 13th, I don´t know why it didn´t get published.... but here it is]

I feel like I just updated, but I realize that it has already been a month--and whats more, an incredibly busy and full month.



I feel as though there was a definite transition after Cajas into the holiday season. Everything has just had a different feel about it since.



Thanksgiving was wonderful. We spent it on the roof of Pat and Sonya´s, the incredible directors of Nuevo Mundo, with all the volunteers, our director from the US and his family that was intown, our in-country director and his soon to be wife, and the families of some of the volunteers that were visiting. It didn´t quite have that thanksgiving feeling from home, but there were some delicous stuffings and mashed potatoes that really hit the spot. It took me about a week afterwards to realize that thanksgiving had already passed and we were officially in the Christmas season. It´s kind of hard to get into the holiday spirits in 90 degree weather and mosquitos, but we´ve tried our hand at makeshift Christmas decorations, such as the green curtain turned Christmas tree hanging in the corner, and of course it could never be Christmas without Kenny G.



The weekend after thanksgiving was probably the most fun we have had as a Rostro community. It was Kevin´s (our incountry director) wedding, and it was just nothing short of wonderful. The service itself was held in the chappel of Nuevo Mundo, which I am just in love with. It was a relatively small gathering, mostly Emilia´s family and friends, but really nice to be there for Kevin. The reception was then held at a pretty fancy club on the river, and was pretty much just one huge dance party. I think the 12 of us were literally on the dance floor the entire night (with MAYBE a half hour break to eat dinner). It was just a blast, I really can´t explain it. We always have fun when all of us get together, but there is just something about weddings that just steps it up a notch. Even the ride home was hilarious. And when we finally got home at about 330 in the morning, the five of us in our house just sat around the table and laughed and hung out until we literally could no longer function from exhaustion. It was a beautiful thing.

I still don´t know how I managed to wake up relatively early and go finish our mural with frank the following morning. It´s a mystery to me. But FYI, the mural looks awesome! It´s on the entrance wall to Padre Damien and is this really colorful beach sunset. ...

I also just had my lead my first retreat group, which I actually loved! First of allthe group itself was awesome! They were from DePaul university, and really just a handful of absolutely beautiful, curious, and inspiring individuals, I wish I could have had more than my 10 days with them. It was funny though, prior to them coming I had almost forgotten that it was the retreat program that really drew me so strongly to Rostro, having gotten so caught up with just daily life and my work here. It was just an awesome suprise to then get to share that work with 13 people that wanted nothing but to meet my friends, ask questions and learn all about it. Of course, I would say they are the best group that has been down thus far (being the fourth), but even in all honestly they were just so above and beyond when it came to really challenging themselves to understand why they were here and what they are going to do about it. It was just a very life-giving presence and experience, I can´t wait to see what they do with their lives.

Apart from that, there has just been great times with neighbors as usual. We celebrated Eric´s birthday at Nancy and Javier´s, we went to the first communions of a bunch of our neighbors, and just continued to really solidify these awesome friendships and relationships. I went out with a medical brigade too one weekend which was really cool, to an area north of Guayaquil where I have never been, with a team of doctors and volunteers doing visits and providing needed meds and consults. It was really warming to see such a passionate group of ecuadorians serving other ecuadorians - I´ve been seeing that so much more from the visiting gringo side lately, it was cool to remember that they have their own beautifully giving services also.

I guess that is about it for now.... My brothers come in a few days, I can´t wait!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

At January 7, 2008 at 3:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love reading your blogs cous! I can imagine you talking when I read them, a million miles a minute, full of passion and life and love...they just sound like you...

love you lots!! Aug 2008-cousins year. Whether in Latin America or SF or working at a bar in Spain:)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home